Saturday, October 13, 2012

Curried Carrot Soup

It's cold outside. Not "brr. I can't feel my toes" cold but "hmm...soup would be nice on this brisk autumn day" cold. And that's exactly what I did. I made some soup.

I've always liked making soup. My mother tells me my orange lentil soup is really good (another day).  And I'm currently watching my figure ferociously so I wanted to make a soup that was both warming and guilt-free. I paired this soup with a Tofurky panini on whole wheat bread with honey mustard and white cheddar. Twas filling and really good. I hope you like it.


Curried Carrot Soup


Ingredients
-4 medium carrots
-1 white potato
-1/2 small white onion
-frozen peas (optional)
-3 cloves of garlic
-1 tbsp. vegetable oil
-Curry powder (really pile it on)
-3 cups of vegetable stock (or 1 veg. bouillon cube and 3 cups of water)
Small amounts of the following:
-Ground Cumin
-Ground Coriander
-Celery Seed
-salt and pepper to taste
-A dollop of Daisy plain yogurt to serve (optional)


Directions
Peel and chop onions, garlic, potato, and carrots. Set aside.

Heat a pan with oil on medium high heat. Saute veggies for 10 minutes. Add vegetable stock and reduce heat to medium low.

Add all spices to mixture. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.

Ladle majority of vegetable mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. If you like all of your soup smooth, ladle the entire mixture in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture back in pan and turn neat to low. Reduce heat to low.



Add peas and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and serve with a sandwich of your choice or crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment