Saturday, July 14, 2012

Broccoli Fritters




It was a blah Saturday morning.

I didn't want to get out of bed. So for the past few hours I've been lying in bed watching Wild China on Netflix (add it to your queue if you like NatGeo anything).

Then the inevitable happened.

Grumbles from my stomach would not allow me to stay in bed for the next 6 hours learning about rubber plantations and pandas. Had to get up and forage for food.

I haven't gone shopping yet so my protein stash is depleted but I remembered looking at a Smitten Kitchen entry on broccoli fritters and I knew I had some broccoli left so I decided to give it a shot (Smitten Kitchen is a pretty amazing blog definitely worth checking out).

Of course the recipe is adjusted to fit my insane flavor requirements ("Just one clove of garlic?? No I need at least three to make this work!!") so I would suggest tweaking certain things to make it fit your flavor buds as always.
I would've added the whole thing, but at some point I have to interact with people and not smell like I just came back from a vampire hunt.


Broccoli Fritters

Ingredients:
-1 head of broccoli
-3 cloves of garlic finely minced
-1/4 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
-about 1/4 cup of flour
-egg (optional for those into that sort of thing)
-salt
-a pinch of cayenne pepper
-oil (I used vegetable but olive oil would work well too)


Directions

Cut the broccoli in small pieces and boil in a very small amount of water for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Broccoli, like many other vegetables makes its own water when it's cooking. It just needs a boost at the beginning.

While the broccoli cooks combine all of the other ingredients in a bowl. If you're using the egg, put this i the bowl first and whisk it. Then combine the other ingredients.



Mash the broccoli lightly with a fork (or a potato masher if you have one) and fold the broccoli in with the other ingredients.

Heat the oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. There should be just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.

Test the oil by putting a pea-sized amount of the batter in the pan. If it begins to bubble the oil is ready.

Scoop a spoon of the mixture and drop it in the pan. You may need to flatten it slightly with the back of the spoon for an even cooking. Also, try to cook only 2-3 at a time in the skillet to not crowd the pan. 

Brown the fritters on both sides and drain on a few paper towels.

Serve by themselves or with a yogurt sauce or sour cream.






No comments:

Post a Comment