Saturday, July 7, 2012

Beans, Beans, Good For Your Heart

Break out the Bean-O ladies and gents because boy, do I have a great bean dish for you!


I have been making some severe budget cuts recently and I had to cut down a little bit on my food budget. So to get me started I thought "Hm. What can I make for less than 7 bucks that would feed me for a few days?" And I thought of this.

Behold, the most budget-friendly, healthy yet satisfying meal that won't put a hurting on your pocket.


White Beans with Spinach and Tomatoes

Ingredients:
1 can of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of crushed tomatoes (I used the Italian-seasoned variety)
about 2 spoons of tomato paste
1 pack of frozen chopped spinach, slightly thawed
2 Tofurky Italian Sausages, chopped

1/2 a small onion, finely chopped
about a cup of Water or vegetable stock (Let's keep it with water. Water's free and this recipe will be plentiful flavorful believe me)
Garlic powder
a pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Saute the onion until caramelized and add the chopped sausages and cook until brown. Then add all the other ingredients (no real order to this).

Simmer for 25 minutes. Serve with either crusty bread or rice. Or eat it as it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment