Monday, June 18, 2012

Beet and Carrot "Latkes"

 I like rich foods. There's rarely a meal I eat that I don't have tofu or seitan in it. But sometimes it's good to indulge in the lighter vegetarian fare. Tonight was one of those sometimes.

I paired the cakes with a salad and crumbled some queso fresco on top (On one of my grocery whims I bought this cheese with big plans of cooking some deluxe Mexican fare. Now I'm just trying to use it before it goes bad).


Here is the recipe for beet and carrot latkes:

a piece of a beet (the piece goes a long way believe me)
2 small carrots
one half a small onion
one small clove of garlic
a small amount of flour
paprika
nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste

Grate the veggies and mix all the ingredients together. Make small patties with your hand and place on a well-oiled sheet pan.

Bake at 350° until slightly blackened** on each side. That should be about 15 minutes tops but check frequently. 


**NOTE: It doesn't take long for this to happen because of the high sugar content in both the beets and the carrots. You know how after sugar turns to caramel it then turns into black crunchy crap? Same principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment