Monday, June 11, 2012

Taco Time




After work, I had a hankering for some tacos and for the life of me I didn't know why. Maybe one too many listens to the merengue mixes on YouTube? Or was it the Latin food trucks within a block from my job sending me subliminal messages? I don't know what it was but whatever it was worked. So I decided to go to the store and pick up some ingredients.


Then I got to the store and realized I never made soft tacos in my life. At least I don't remember. Go figure.

So I went searching for some taco recipes and found a few that got my juices flowing (this is one of the many I looked at. Really it's one of two I looked at before my attention went elsewhere) and decided to try a fish taco recipe.

Naturally I don't eat fish so I substituted the fish for some tofu and baked it instead of fried it (look at me being healthy). Tofu, like fish, is one of those ingredients that soaks up whatever flavor you want it to have so it's very versatile.

Then I threw a lot of veggies that seemed to go together in a slaw, added some chili sauce and voila. My rendition of a veg-friendly "fish" taco.

"Fish" Tacos


For the Tofu:
Tofu
Soy Sauce
Equal parts flour and white cornmeal
Chili powder
salt and pepper
Oil for baking


For Slaw:
Cabbage
Onions
1 clove of Garlic
Radishes
Corn
Cilantro (I used dried because that's all I had but I' sure fresh would've been so much better)
salt and pepper
The juice of 1/2 lime

For Sauce
Mayo (or Vegenaise)
Chili powder
A small amount of red pepper flakes
Juice of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper

Slice the tofu in strips (about 1/4" thick) and soak it in equal parts soy sauce and water while you make the slaw.

Grate all vegetables (including the onion and garlic) with the small grate size. Mix the other ingredients and set aside

Preheat the oven to 400°.

Drain the tofu and dredge each slice in the cornmeal/flour batter. In a shallow baking dish add a shallow layer of oil and place the tofu in the pan. The strips should not touch each other.

After about ten minutes, flip the tofu strips and allow to cook on the other side. Allow to cook another 5 minutes and remove and drain the excess oil.

Combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Taste it. I felt like I should say that.


Warm your tortillas and get to building your tacos. I warm my tortillas like so:


It gives it that nice charred look on the edges. I'll probably have hell to pay when I'm cleaning the eyes of my stove but whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment